Flexible Sensors and Energy Harvesters
Sponsored by: NSF, NIH R01 and The Arthur. L. Irving Institute for Energy and Society.
Cardiovascular disease is the #1 killer in the US and worldwide. Consequently, there is an upsurge in the various novel devices to diagnose, monitor, and treat cardiovascular disease. With the emergence of piezoelectric nanogenerator based sensor and energy harvester, we have developed three projects relevant to nanomaterials based pressure sensors and power harvesters.
- Lin Dong#, Congran Jin#, Andrew B. Closson, Ian Trase, Haley R. Richards, Zi Chen and John X.J. Zhang 2020 “Cardiac energy harvesting and sensing based on piezoelectric and triboelectric designs”, Nano Energy, 76, 105076. PDF
Thin film PVDF sensor materials physics & development:
- D. Chen, K. Chen, K. Brown, A. Hang,X.J. Zhang, “Liquid-phase tuning of porous PVDF film on flexible substrate for energy harvesting”, Applied Physics Letters, APL16-AR-09038, 110, 153902, 2017.
- D. Chen and X.J. Zhang, “Porous PVDF Film with Dense Surface Enables Efficient Piezoelectric Conversion”, Applied Physics Letters, 106: 193901, 2015.
- D. Chen, T. Sharma, X.J. Zhang, “Mesoporous PVDF Surface Control and Piezoelectric Output Enhancement”, Sensors and Actuators A, 2(16): 196–201, 2014.
Thin film pressure sensors:
- T. Sharma, S. Naik, J. Langevine, B. Gill, X.J. Zhang, “Aligned PVDF-TrFE nanofibers with high-density solid and core-shell structures for endovascular pressure sensing”, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 62(1): 188–195, 2015 (highlighted in the editorial section).
- T. Sharma, K. Aroom, S. Naik, B. Gill, and X.J. Zhang, “Flexible Thin-Film PVDF-TrFE Based Pressure Sensor for Smart Catheter Applications”, Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 41(4): 744–51, 2013.
- T. Sharma, S. Je, B. Gill, X.J. Zhang, “Patterning piezoelectric thin-film PVDF TrFE-based pressure sensor for catheter application”, Sensors & Actuators, A Physical, 177: 87–92, 2012.
Thin film glucose sensors:
- D. Chen, C. Wang, W. Chen, Y. Chen, X.J. Zhang, “PVDF-Nafion Nanomembranes Coated Microneedles for In Vivo Transcutaneous Implantable Glucose Sensing”, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 74: 1047–1052, 2015
Thin film biofuel cells:
- T. Sharma, Y. Hu, M. Stoller, K. Lin, M. Feldman, R.S. Ruoff, M. Ferrari and X.J. Zhang. “Mesoporous Silica Membrane for Ultra-thin Implantable Biofuel Cells”, Lab on Chip, 11(14): 2460–2465, 2011.
Thin film energy harvesting devices:
- Z. Xu#, C. Jin#, A. Cabe, D. Escobedo, N. Hao, I. Trase, A.B. Closson, L. Dong, Y. Nie, J. Elliott, M. Feldman, Z. Chen, J.X.J. Zhang, Flexible Energy Harvester on a Pacemaker Lead Using Multi-beam Piezoelectric Composite Thin Film, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces. (2020). https://doi:10.1021/acsami.0c07969. (featured on cover)
- L. Dong, A. B. Closson, C. Jin, Y. Nie, A. Cabe, D. Escobedo, S. Huang, I. Trase, Z. Xu, Z. Chen, M. Feldman, and J. X.J. Zhang, “Cardiac Energy Harvesting: Multifunctional Pacemaker Lead for Cardiac Energy Harvesting and Pressure Sensing” Advanced Healthcare Materials, 2020, 9, 2000053. https://doi.org/10.1002/adhm.202000053 (featured on cover)
- Congran Jin, Nanjing Hao, Zhe Xu, Ian Trase, Yuan Nie, Lin Dong, Andrew Closson, Zi Chen, John X.J. Zhang, “Flexible piezoelectric nanogenerators using metal-doped ZnO-PVDF films” Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Volume 305, 2020, 111912, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sna.2020.111912.
- L. Dong, X. Han, Z. Xu, A. B. Closson, Y. Liu, C. Wen, X. Liu, G. P. Escobar, M. Oglesby, M. Feldman, Z. Chen, and X.J. Zhang, “Flexible Porous Piezoelectric Cantilever on a Pacemaker Lead for Compact Energy Harvesting” Advanced Materials Technologies, 2019, 4, 1800148. DOI:10.1002/admt.201800148. (featured on cover)
- L. Dong, C.Wen, Y. Liu, Z. Xu, A. B. Closson, X. Han, G. P. Escobar, M. Oglesby., M. Feldman, Z. Chen and X. J. Zhang, “Piezoelectric buckled beam array on a pacemaker lead for energy harvesting”, Advanced Materials Technologies, 2019, 4, 1800335. DOI: 10.1002/admt.201800335.
- Lin Dong, Andrew B. Closson, Meagan Oglesby, Danny Escobedo, Xiaomin Han, Yuan Nie, Shicheng Huang, Marc Feldman, Zi Chen and X.J. Zhang 2019 “In vivo cardiac power generation enabled by an integrated helical piezoelectric pacemaker lead”, Nano Energy, 66, 104085, DOI: 10.1016/j.nanoen.2019.104085.
- Lin Dong, Andrew B. Closson, Congran Jin, Ian Trase, Zi Chen and X.J. Zhang, 2019 “Vibration energy harvesting system: transduction mechanisms, frequency tuning techniques and biomechanical applications”, Advanced Materials Technologies, 4.1900177.
- Z. Xu, Y. Liu, L. Dong, A. Closson, N. Hao, S. Fu, M. Oglesby, G. Escobar, C. Wen, J. Liu, M. Feldman, Z. Chen, and X.J. Zhang, “Tunable Buckled Beams with Mesoporous PVDF-TrFE/CNT Composite Film for Energy Harvesting”, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 10, 33516–33522, 2018
- N. Hu*, D. Chen*, D. Wang, S. Huang, X. Yu, X.J. Zhang, Z. Chen, “Stretchable kirigami polyvinylidene difluoride thin films for energy harvesting: design, analysis and performance”, Physical Review Applied, 9, 021002, 2018.
- T. Sharma, S. Naik, A. Gopal, X.J. Zhang, “Emerging Trends in Bioenergy Harvesters for Chronic Powered Implants”, MRS Energy and Sustainability (A Review Journal), 2: E7 (15 pages), 2015.
Multi-stability/Computational for Transducer designs
- X. Hou, Y. Liu, G. Wan, Z. Xu, C. Wen, H. Yu, X.J. Zhang*, J. Li*, and Z. Chen*, “Magneto-sensitive bistable soft actuators: experiments, simulations, and applications”, Applied Physics Letters (co-corresponding authors), 113, 221902, 2018
- Y. Liu, W. Zeng, G. Wan, L. Dong, Z. Xu, X.J. Zhang* and Z. Chen*, “Voltage-actuated Snap-through in Bistable Piezoelectric Thin Films: A Computational Study”, Smart Materials and Structures (co-corresponding authors), in press
- N. Hu, X. Han, S. Huang, H.M. Grover, X. Yu, L. Zhang, I. Trase, X.J. Zhang, L. Zhang, L.X. Dong, Zi Chen, “Edge Effect of Strained Bilayer Nanofilms for Tunable Multistability and Actuation”, Nanoscale, 9, 2958–2962, 2017.
- T. Ha, X.J. Zhang, N. Lu, “Thickness Ratio and d33 Effects on Flexible Piezoelectric Unimorph Energy Conversion”, Smart Materials and Structures, 25(3): 035037, 2016.
#: Equal contribution